4.12.12

I've got my Christmas craft on....Part 1

I got my Christmas craft on today after watching Kirstie's Homemade Christmas last night on telly. I thought I'd make some gift labels.


I used Sculpey (the same as Fimo in the UK), rolled it out, used a tiny star cookie cutter, stamped them using a rubber stamping kit, baked them and painted them.  

It sounds very straight forward when I write it like that but there was a lot of trial and error involving salt dough that was a real disaster.  (I'll show you the difference later) 

 
The process was easy enough and other than the Sculpey, I had everything at home.....


Here's a few pictures of how the painting process went....


I made sure the paint filled all the grooves


Once it was dry (I left mine for maybe 45 mins max), I used a dry cloth to rub off the excess paint


After the initial paint came off, I dampened the cloth slightly to remove the rest of the paint but didn't make the cloth too wet, otherwise it tended to pull some of the paint from in the grooves


I just kept going, rubbing gently and eventually it looked like this........


So what of the salt dough efforts?  The difference was vast


This was one of the few good ones.  Due to the way the dough rose in the oven, the letters became almost unreadable and the salt dough was far too porous for painting.  Most of them were unreadable.

The Sculpey was $4 a packet and I used almost 2 packets, so it's a pretty inexpensive way to make beautiful gift tags.  I think these would make a sweet tree decoration and perhaps the recipients may add them to their ornament collection.  I look forward to seeing how these look on my gifts.  I'll try to remember to take photos so I can share them here on my blog.

I also made something else Christmas'y' but I'll save that for my next post.

Jo x

4 comments:

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Lovely idea, something you could do with children! :)

Jo said...

Thanks Ada B. Definitely something for the kiddos (big and little)!
Jo x

thefemalemunich said...

i love them! fantastic idea to turn them into tree decorations afterwards too. my nanna has baubles with everyones names on them, and it was always exciting to look for my name on her tree as a kid!

Jo said...

Thanks Kim. That's a lovely memory of yours, so sweet. They'd be sweet on a little family garland too, I've got a bit of a thing for bunting and garlands.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...