8.8.12

Patching like a demon and a fabric droolathon...

Warning: This post contains a multitude of fabric photos.  Fabric addicts may need a tissue to mop up drool.

 Do you remember this from way back in March?  


It has been a slow process of adding a few rows here and there. 


Then on Friday night while my hubby and step dad watched the Olympics I thought it might be just the time to distract myself and get another row or two done
 

And now I'm almost finished!

I'm really pleased with how it looks, I thought I'd have loads more to do but I think a couple more columns and maybe one more row should do it

I'll give you a little close up of some of my fave squares

A noseless fox

My absolute favourite - orange and gaudy

This one probably comes is second

This was a napkin

This was a tablecloth

I had to make up some squares with more than one fabric



 I am so looking forward to it being finished.  This one is for our bed (it's lying on the spare bed in the photo).
  
So with one eye on the telly and a glass of rose on the go, the fancy took me to have a dabble on a project that is rather huuuge.

As you read on, please bear in mind that I am not a quilter, in fact I have only ever made one very basic cot sized quilt before.  So the above project is quite a big project for me.  

And so this is HUGE...


Some time ago I made a purchase on Ebay.
A part completed vintage piece of hexie quilting.


Impressive indeed, it was love at first sight.



It has such beautiful pieces of fabric that someone has spent hours upon hours stitching together




  
It is so beautiful, I cannot tell you; every time I look over it a new piece of fabric catches my eye that I hadn't noticed before


  I hadn't touched it since it arrived, I'd started off a little bit of hexie collecting and making here and there but that was all... until this weekend just gone when I thought I might start putting some pieces together and see how I went.


See that extra little bit on the right?  Well that took me somewhere around 20 hours to do and left two of my fingers in a bit of a state.

At this rate I'll be lucky to have it done by next Christmas!


It certainly makes me appreciate the time and effort that went into the piece I bought.

And seeing as though I'm sharing some of my patchy goodness with you today I also want to show you this piece that I made with some of the beautiful pieces of fabric that I was sent by the lovely Deb from 
Works in Progress




Deb very generously sent me a parcel of fabric scraps a couple of months ago and due to my blogging black hole I didn't share them here.  
But when I got that parcel with the New Zealand stamp on my heart did a little skip and when I opened the bag I really was like a kid in a sweet shop, spreading the pieces all over the kitchen bench and admiring each and every one of them.
This is what was left AFTER I had made the piece above!
Here is the link to the quilt that Deb made with the fabrics she sent to me.

Deb makes some totally gorgeous quilts that her family actually use. (That may sound like a weird statement but I think I always resisted quilting because the ones I'd come across either hung on a wall or weren't functional) But Deb's quilts are 100% functional, oh yes indeedy. 

After seeing what Deb does with the fabric from her 'scrap' basket I was inspired to make more use of my own fabric scraps.

I've used some of Deb's fabric in the hexie quilt too







And here are a few pics of my favourite pieces...




I LOVE this piece

This teensie piece was far too precious not to use so I used bond a web to hold it to another piece of fabric


Thanks SO much Deb for your generosity, I really do appreciate it and I love every piece of fabric that you sent to me x



All I need to do now is to decide whether I will make it bigger or leave it the size it is and then figure out how I'll finish it off.
 I need to do some research on how I go about doing the stitching as I want to be able to make the most of all these beautiful fabrics.

If anyone has any good resources or links to easy quilting instructions please do pass them along.

And so dear peeps, that is the end of my fabric droolathon, thanks so much for visiting. 


Jo x

6 comments:

Deb Robertson said...

JO!!!!!! I'm so happy. I wondered if that parcel got there safely! You have done a FANTASTIC JOB!! I LOVE IT ALL. Thanks so much for sharing, I'm EXCITED. (Can you tell??)

Caroline said...

Wow Jo, what an amazing job you have done. I love it all! That hexagon quilt was a great buy, it will look so gorgeous when its finished. I love all your close up pictures of the fabrics. So many amazing patterns and colours. xx

Susan C. said...

Good morning! Thank you so much for visiting my blog, and wow am I glad to visit yours. I adore your work, and you say you have never quilted before????
I would have to say you have a great eye for design and the joy shines through. I also love Debs fabrics and are quite green......fading to pale lime now, that you were so lucky in getting those scraps. It has been lovely making your aquaintence!

...Tabiboo... said...

Fabric and patchwork addicts drool, drool, drool.

Such wonderful work and I know what you mean about the hexies - mine is still sat waiting from about fourish years ago....my poor fingers start twitching every time I think about picking it up again.

Nina x

Jo said...

Thanks for the comments ladies...

Deb, I feel so rude for not letting you know the parcel arrived, I must have written the email in my head (not the 1st time I've done that!) Thanks so so much x

Caroline, I so look forward to the hexie quilt being finished, I can see it in my mind, thanks for your lovely comment x

Susan, thanks for popping over here. No I've never quilted before, there's nothing like jumping in at the deep end though is there? hehe! x

Nina, I so know what you mean about the twitchy fingers! Who would have thought one needle could inflict so much pain? x

selfsewn said...

Wow hello Jo, these colours are right up my street!!
Looking forward to reading on xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...