5.12.11

A new type of christmas tree for me

In continuing with the Christmas theme I wanted to write about my choice of Christmas tree this year.  Since I moved out of home I have had a real Christmas tree every year and I've gotta say I love them.  I just don't know that I could have an artificial one.  Some people bring their tree down from the loft or out of storage every year and for them that is just what they do and I can see some benefits of doing it this way.  But for me, I want the real thing.  I want the smell, I want the pine needles on the floor, I want the sticky sap on my hands and I want to have to remember to water it.  It feels a bit special having something real too; a bit of beauty to adorn.

So anyways, that being said, this year I must have gone to about five different places in my area to attempt to find my tree.  As I've mentioned, it'll just be me and the dog at home so I only wanted a small tree (I also wanted it to look just like the one in Lorne).  But try as I might I just could not find a small tree that fitted the bill.  They were either too wide, too tall or looked brown and didn't look like they'd make it til Christmas day.  I was beginning to think that I may have to go down the artificial route and I was feeling a bit disappointed about that so I did my usual thing and sat back and waited and decided not to rush into any decisions just yet.  

Then coincidentally, I went to have a wonder around a garden centre that I hadn't been to before, and lo and behold, there was the cutest little pine tree I ever did see, sitting with its spiky branches sticking out in perfect form in its own little pot.  However, when I looked at the price tag I got over that idea rather swiftly.  I loved it, but at $85 I decided there are limits to my love.

So I looked for something in my price range (around $50) that would float my boat, but nothing appealed and I feared I may have to end up with a woolly bush. I kept thinking back to that beautiful little tree I'd seen and just wanted it, really badly.  So at the weekend the hubby and I went up to my Mom's place and I drove round to a number of garden centres trying to find one like the one I had seen last week but wasn't so expensive (and maybe a bit bigger).  It took me five garden centres but in the end I found it....


And I LOVE love LOVE it!

I know it's tiny, but it's perfect.  It is just what I wanted.  When we got home from Melbourne yesterday the hubby got the couple of boxes of decorations down from the loft and I dug out the white and silver ones to add to my op shop finds, popped a Bing Crosby Chrissy album on the turntable and away I went. 







I had intended to just go with silver and white but I thought it looked a bit too bland and needed a bit of red to bring it together so again I sifted through the mahoosive bag of baubles and found some cute as a button retro satin red ones. 



I really like the skinny tinsel, it suits the tree perfectly I think.

Reasons why I love this little tree:
  • It reminds me of the type of Chrissy tree I used to have in England
  • I don't have a million and one decorations to take down in January
  • I won't need to saw it up so it'll fit in the green waste bin 
  • It can go outside in its pot and come back in next year
  • It feels really special to have chosen a tree just for me; I'm always happy to go with the old traditional style but this year I made a choice to have exactly what I want, and it feels good.  No compromises.
It's called a Norway Spruce or a Picea Abies if you prefer.  I've called it Bruce the spruce.

Over and out
Jo :)




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...