5.10.11

Sewing and crafting

This week has been pretty full so far and it's only Wednesday! 

I travelled up to the big smoke to see my Ma on Sunday, leaving home in the afternoon once I'd done a few bits in the garden and planted out some of the seedlings which had finally grown big enough.  The clocks went forward an hour (I think it's daylight savings? or maybe that's what it's called in the winter-time?). Anyway the day was a good type of day with some of my favourite things in it; gardening, a bit of sunshine to soak up all the rain we had last week and then Thai food with the family.

Then on Monday I got the spring cleaning bug and just went for it in the house; cleaning everything I could.  I wish I could bottle that cleaning bug and take a swig of it whenever I look at the floors and think "they'll do for another day", but alas I'm afraid it only pops along every blue moon so I grabbed it with both hands and cleaned all day!  ALL day.  I was totally pooped at the end of it but the house looked fabola.  I even got the inclination to have a move around in the living room (of the furniture, not myself) and so move it I did.  I used to do this a lot years ago and it was a standing joke that my husband would go to get into bed and it would be in a different place.  I haven't moved stuff around in this house so much so it was great to have a shuffle and make the space all new. 



I created a reading nook during the reshuffle...
 I think my Monday cleaning motivation was to get the house all clean so that my mind would be clear and I would have no distractions.  You see I needed all the concentration I could find to get to grips with the new addition to my sewing kit....  my overlocker!!!  I have wanted one of these for so long and finally it happened.  And I've gotta say, I am loving it!
I fully expected it to be a bit of a challenge to get my head round using it, but once I'd read the destructions instructions, it was easy enough to get going with basic overlocking.  I had wanted to make this dress for a while, so it was the perfect first project for my new machine.  I copied the pattern from a dress that my sis loves and the nappy cover was the same pattern that I have used and linked back to before. (Only 4 days left until my sister's due date so it was good to get this made)


It made the task so much easier having the overlocker; less fiddling with the iron for making hems, and it was way easier to make the nappy cover too.  The last ones I made were really fiddly around the legs but once I'd gone round the edge with the overlocker they were easy peasy to sew.  A big investment but I think it was well worth it.  I hardly ever buy new stuff for myself or the house, we even joke that the dog's second hand!  So my Janome 8002DX (Jan is her name - very original I know) was a real treat....

So in order to make the most of Jan and get a bit more practice in, today I got to work on covering a little ironing board that I use for my crafting.  I recycled a cushion cover that I got from an op shop.  I unpicked it and away I went...


I left plenty of room around the edge to allow for the hem and this was the perfect amount, any less and it would have been a bit of a squeeze.

I may need to adjust the tension, I haven't mastered it quite yet
Using Jan, I whizzed around the edge and then pinned the hem in place before sewing it on the normal sewing machine. (I won't say what I call that one as it's a bit too embarrassing)

I absolutely adore the fabric.  Hmmm maybe I should make one for my domestic ironing board?  I wonder if it might make me more inclined to crack out the iron once in a while? ... possibly not....
I am happy with the addition of Jan to the fold and I am happy that there are more sunlight hours in the evening.  I am also happy to be sewing and doing some of the projects that I've had on my mind for a while.  I am also very happy that niece no 1 who was in hospital last week is out and is very much better. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...