14.9.11

Lemon Slice

Slices are big here; peppermint slice, caramel slice, hedgehog slice to name a few.  I can’t say I’d really had that many encounters with ‘slices’ in Blighty so to me they are a bit of a novelty and almost make up for the lack of Chelsea buns I get to eat these days.
One of the things I made for the baby shower at the weekend was my favourite; lemon slice.  Now if you’re looking for a really easy, really yum treat that doesn’t involve any cooking I’d highly recommend this one.  I got this recipe from a relative and she makes it for most of the gatherings we have and everyone upon everyone loves it. 

Ingredients:
For the base:
Approx.  200g condensed milk
100g melted butter
A 250g packet of crushed Marie biscuits (rich tea biscuits in the UK)
1 cup desiccated coconut
The grated rind of a lemon


For the topping:
2 cups of sieved icing sugar
40g softened butter
Juice of 1 lemon

Now this bit couldn’t be any easier.  Are you ready?  You simply mix the base ingredients together in a bowl.  You want it to be just sticky enough to hold together but not overly gooey.  I used my hand to bring it all together.

Then press the mix into a slice tin (or a Tupperware dish or whatever you’ve got that’s about 30cm by 15cm by 10cm ‘ish’ – it’ll just make your slice thicker if you’ve got a smaller container).  I used greaseproof paper to line the Tupperware dish and it peeled off easily. 


Then mix topping ingredients together and spread evenly over the top of the base ingredients.  I added a tiny bit of hot water (about half teaspoon) to the icing mix as it wasn't quite spreadable enough.


Then pop  it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.  It'll keep for about a week in the fridge (although I doubt it will last a week once people know it’s there).  It's quite sweet so you don't need to serve it up in huge chunks; I got about 20 or so pieces out of mine.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...